MINOR REPAIRS SERVICE
Are you 60+ years of age or do you have a disability?
ABOUT CARE AND REPAIR
The Westmeath Care and Repair Programme consists of five services:
- The Repair Service uses a pool of volunteers and handypersons to carry out small repairs and to complete minor home tasks for older people. The most common services required by older people are: Minor gardening, minor painting (e.g. front door, garden gate), changing plugs, fuses and light bulbs, hanging curtains, installing security locks and chains, installing domestic smoke alarms. All requests for small jobs are considered.
- The Home Visit Service is a home visiting or befriending service using volunteers to provide regular social contact to older people who are at risk of isolation in their own homes.
- The Trades Referral Service is an option whereby a register of reliable and honest tradespersons is maintained. Through this means, informed recommendations can be made to older people who may have job requirements which are beyond the scope of the Repair Service. In this way, clients can have confidence that the prices charged for these larger jobs by professional tradespeople will be reasonable and that the service provided will be of a good standard.
- The Quote Check Service is a service whereby an experienced volunteer visits the older person’s home, assesses a large job and gives an informed opinion about quotations received by the client from professional tradespersons. QuoteCheck gives the older person peace of mind and the assurance that the prices being quoted do not constitute a “rip off”.
- The Daily Contact Service (a daily phone call)
ABOUT THE KIND OF JOBS UNDERTAKEN
Jobs range from replacing light bulbs to fitting door chains and spy-holes or smoke alarms, putting up shelves, moving light pieces of furniture across a room, and taking down/putting up curtains.
Volunteers in effect provide a willing pair of helping hands to do a variety of small tasks that an older person may find difficult to do.
A “job” is expected to take no longer than an hour and a half, though many small tasks may be undertaken during the same visit.
The service is free of charge; the client only pays for the cost of materials used.
Donations are not needed.
ABOUT THE TRADES REFERRAL SERVICE
Westmeath Care and Repair uses a pool of trustworthy volunteers and handy persons to carry out minor repairs for older people.
Westmeath Care and Repair is proudly supported by
| Ganly's Hardware