This year, as a way of celebrating International Volunteer Day and the 1st Anniversary of the establishment of Westmeath Volunteer Centre, It has been decided to recognise the groups and organisations in Westmeath who are made up of and work with volunteers. Without your hard work and very existence, there would be no place for the volunteer and also, a lot of very important activities and functions would be lost to our communities.
Sports clubs, social clubs, youth clubs and tidy towns to name a few would simply vanish and where would we be then?
The Westmeath Volunteer Centre would like to recognise all of this work and we would appreciate it if you would fill in the nomination form with this letter and send it back in as soon as you can. If you would like to attach any more info, please feel free to do so.
The Categories in the recognition day are:
- Older People,
- Youth Work (8-25yrs) (Youth Clubs etc.),
- Environment and Heritage,
- Arts & Culture,
- Children (Under 8’s) (Mother & Toddler Groups, Community Creches etc.)
- and Other (Anything that dosen't fall into any of the other categories).
We have listed below a couple of values below that might give you an idea as to what we see as important in a group but these are there to help you get an idea for what to put down on your nomination.
The Values are:
- Valuing Volunteers (How do your volunteers feel? Do you appreciate them and how?),
- Training (Do you avail of the many courses put on by the VEC, Sports Partnership, Community Development Board, Volunteer Centre or County Council or others?),
- Organisational Skills (One important factor in any committee is keeping minutes and organising things well, how does your group feel you do?),
- Networking/Partnerships (If there is something on in your community, does your group come along and give a hand? Do you work with other groups in your area and share learnings and lessons?),
- Public Awareness (Does the community know who you are and what you do? How well do you publicise your achievements causes and events?),
- Group Growth (How has your group grown and developed since its beginnings and what do you feel has been a factor to this?),
- Innovative (Have you tried a unique approach to fundraising or something in your group that was never tried before that was fun?),
- Equality and Diversity (Does your group cater for people of all ages, races, nationalities and needs? Any good stories about their experiences since joining you?)
These groups will be celebrated at a special family event in Bloomfield House Hotel on December the 9th . At this event, there will be face painting and fun for the kids but also a chance for you and other groups to meet each other and say hello. You can even let other groups know about who you are and make new connections. Finger food will be provided. All Photos taken at the recognition day will be used to promote the work you do in our county.
We really hope you can make it to this day and we look forward to celebrating our voluntary groups and organisations who work with volunteers.